Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pedro :)


WOW! okay familia this email is going to be WAY long today. Bear with me here, cause the story is just awesome! it comes in two parts.

Part one: I have this companion and her name is Hermana Barnes, and she is super awesome. Like way way good missionary. And she has had one grand dream her whole mission: to BAPTIZE! She has dreamed and worked hard and planted the seed and not casted it out, but for some reason she just has never seen the fruits of her labors. She has never had any of her investigators be baptized. She has been so faithful, and worked so hard, but just has never seen it. She also has had a triple combination and bible in Spanish she has had with her her whole mission, just waiting to give it away to her convert. But just never happened. Well. So I get with Hermana Barnes the last three weeks of her mission and I say oh man. This is it. We are going to BAPTIZE!!! Well we had this way solid investigator Stephanie, that is really excited and willing, but it was just too rushed for her to get baptized in three weeks! So we decided it would be better if she wasn't baptized on aug. 10th (the last sunday Hermana Barnes has here.) Well oh no. How in the heck are we supposed to baptize now???

Part two: along came PEDRO!!! okay how do we explain pedro? The best explanation could be a miracle that fell straight from heaven. So here is how his story begins. He is 21, and from Peru. and actually he happened to be an atheist! But he started coming to our English class. Then from there, he wanted to know a little bit more about the church. So he started meeting with the missionaries Hermanas Hall y Glauser. He knows the bible like super good, and originally he just wanted to bash with the hermanas. But after a few visits he started opening up. They loved teaching him and would always tell us stories about him. Well.... as Pedro continues to learn more, come to church, and read the scriptures, he starts changing. One day he tells the hermanas "hermanas I have good news. Well, it's good news for me at least, I don't know if it's good news for you.... But I want to be baptized." The Hermanas are stunned speechless of course I mean Pedro the atheist wants to be baptized! They say okay when? he says as soon as possible. So they set the date for Aug. 10th......

Now you're probably thinking, that's nice... but how do these stories go together? Well my friends. Three days after Pedro says he wants to be baptized, he moves into our area.... meaning we become his missionaries. There you have it. A golden investigator handed right to us on a silver platter all ready to be baptized! Guess why he wants to be baptized?? so he can serve a mission!!
So we taught him all of lesson 5 (about priesthood and the temple and missionary work...) He is probably the cutest little thing that has ever existed!! here are some cute pedro quotes:

(sunday after noon after fast and testimony meeting) Hermanas what is a testimony? we explain a testimony to him. Two days later... "hermanas good news! I think I have a testimony! I was reading in the book of Mormon, and my heart felt all warm and then I stopped reading, closed the book and said this book is from God!"

Hermanas how long do I have to wait to get my priesthood?

Hermanas I didn't take the sacrament today, I didn't know I could cause I was fasting.

Hermanas, I took the sacrament today, and I felt something amazing! Like the feeling I felt when I got my testimony!

I swear he is the most golden human I have ever worked with. He is so amazing. And I think one of the most amazing things is not only did Pedro completely change his life and learn to trust in God and how to make covenants with him, but Hermana Barnes got to see her dream come true! Her very last sunday in the mission field she got her very first baptism!!!! And also, Hermana barnes got to give away her Spanish scriptures finally! To someone who will love them and cherish them. All four of us hermanas (Barnesy, me, Hall, and Glauser) wrote our testimonies in them, and on Sunday night Pedro called us crying because he found the testimonies. He is so amazing. The whole experience was just surreal. I am so happy for him and the covenant he has made and the completely different person he is. I am also way happy to have been able to see Hermana Barnes dream come true as well. I know it's true what is says in DyC 10:15--
And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!

I know God prepares his children. The gospel changes lives. And the church is true. I love you family! Have the best week ever!



No comments:

Post a Comment